1/10/2014

Ghosts





Many people don’t believe in ghosts because they have a scientific point of view. For them, the world is governed by laws that have been discovered or, at least, are discoverable by scientific investigation. One thing is certain: lots of paranormal phenomena do happen to ordinary people all over the world. 



  1. Do you think that dead people come back to haunt the world? 
  2. Have you ever had any paranormal experiences or ghost encounters? 
  3. Have you ever used a Ouija board? Did it freak you out? 
  4. Would you talk to a ghost? 
  5. Do you know any good stories about ghosts? 
  6. Do you know anyone who has said that they have seen a ghost? 
  7. If one of your friends told you they had seen a ghost, would you believe him/her? Why/Why not? 
  8. Is there an area where you live (park, house, etc.) that is known to be haunted? 
  9. Would you spend the night in a place where people say that there are ghosts?


Dave Allen, an Irish comedian, explains how he lost his finger. Watch the video and answer the questions.


 


  1. Where did the story take place? 
  2. Did Dave believe in ghosts stories? 
  3. What type of bet did he accept? 
  4. What did he feel when he woke up? 
  5. Was he afraid?
  6. How did he lose his finger?


 You can read the story.

 "Many years ago I was rather foolish. We were in the west coast of Ireland and we were in a barn and we'd had a couple of drinks and somebody started to talk about the unknown and the spirit world. And the conversation came up about the gravedigger's house and the locals started to tell us about it. This gravedigger was found in his bed, dead, with terrible marks on his neck and his eyes wide open. The doctor said the marks had nothing to do with his death but that the man had died of fright. And... I scoffed (= laughed at), foolishly.
And it came about with a few more drinks that I accepted a dare or a bet that I would stay the night in the cottage beside the graveyard. I went there and we agreed that the door would be locked and I would stay in there until first light and I was locked in.
I don't know really what happens but I think a great deal of fear is in one's mind. It was dank (= humid and cold). It was cold. The effects of the booze (= alcohol) began to wear off and I began to think, "What in the name of God are you doing here?" And I felt... I don't know what it was. It was an instinct. It was something stronger than me pulled me towards this bed where this man had died. And I was drawn... I fought against it but I was drawn nearer and nearer to this bed. And I was told somehow or other to sit on that bed. I didn't want to... and I did. An unnatural drowsiness (= sleepiness) came over me and I became very sleepy... and I lay down knowing full well that I shouldn't... and I went to sleep. A limbo sleep.
I awoke. What time I have no idea. The candle had burnt down. It was black. It was cold and I felt a presence. I was completely sober by then and utterly terrified. The hackles (= hair) on the back of my neck had begun to rise. I was paralysed by a presence of fear. I felt something on my chest begin to move. It crept slowly up my chest... and I couldn't move. It came closer and closer to my throat. I gathered all my willpower (= mental strength)... as this thing came closer... and nearer... and I grabbed it! And it was wet and cold and I bit it! I screamed in pain!
And that is how I lost my finger."

Visit the following site:


Hampton Court Ghost




Paranormal Activity ... Watch this funny video.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario